The Article 27 competition asks young people, aged 11-18, to create an idea and storyboard for a short film (about 3 mins long) about children’s rights.
The competition is limited to one storyboard per school, and a teacher must submit each entry. If you are interested in entering you should tell your teacher about this competition, and ask if your class or a group of pupils can work on it together.
The winner will have the opportunity to work with a professional film maker to turn their storyboard into a short film.
This film will be included in Just Living, a new teaching resource produced by UNICEF UK based on Article 27 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). Article 27 says that: “every child has the right to a standard of living that is good enough to meet their social, physical and mental needs”.
The film idea should:
- look at what kinds of things stop young people in different parts of the world from reaching their potential and achieving a decent standard of living
- show how rights can improve your life
- encourage people to think about the impact their choices can have on others
- inspire young people to act to make Article 27 a reality for children worldwide
The winning entry will be chosen by young people, UNICEF’s Rights Respecting School team and media experts. The winner will also get the opportunity to visit UNICEF UK and their winning film will be included as part of the Just Living teaching package.
Just Living is part of a project called Building Young Futures which provides young people across the world with the support and skills they need to achieve their potential through education, employment and entrepreneurship.
Entries should be submitted on A4 sized paper - you can use more than one sheet. Click here to view a blank storyboard on the BBC website, and here to view an example of a completed storyboard.
Please also include an A4 covering sheet giving:
- your school name, address, telephone and email contact details
- the names, ages and year groups of students working on the project
- a teacher's name and email
Please post your finished entry to:
Article 27 Competition,
30a Great Sutton Street,
London EC1V 0DU
Closing date: 21 April 2011
If you have any questions about the competition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.