December 27, 2007

DIGITAL DIARIES: Nigerian street children tell their stories of life without security

Digital Diary: Nigerian street children tell their stories of life
without security

***By Christine Jaulmes*

NEW YORK, USA, 26 December 2007 -- Isaiah has spent 5 of his 15 years
living on the streets of Lagos, Nigeria, the second largest city of
Africa. Like hundreds of other children, he spends his days and nights
in this sprawling metropolis trying to fend for himself.

"It is not easy living on the street but what can I do?" asks Isaiah,
one of 25 children who have told their stories on Nigerian national
radio through a UNICEF-supported project.

"I have two sisters that I have not seen in five years, I have smoked
Indian hemp like other boys of my age, got beaten by bigger boys, robbed
of my money, took my bath in the canal and slept under the bridge,"
Isaiah says in one broadcast. "The good thing is that I am alive!"

Given the opportunity to go to school, Isaiah says he would like to
become a lawyer. "I want to be defending people," he explains.

FULL ARTICLE AND AUDIO AT
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_42282.html

No comments: