Call for a Communications Intern
Duration: 6 months
Deadline for applications: (02/08/2015) (23h59 CET)
The European Youth Forum is recruiting an intern for 6 months, starting beginning of September, in the Communications Team within the Secretary-General's Office of the organisation. The internship is full-time and based at the European Youth Forum secretariat in Brussels.
The European Youth Forum believes in quality on-the-job learning opportunities and this internship is in line with the European Charter for Quality Internships and Apprenticeships (www.qualityinternships.eu). The European Youth Forum has been awarded the European Label for Quality Internships (Champion) by Interns GoPro.
The European Youth Forum is the platform of youth organisations in Europe. Independent, democratic and youth-led, it represents more than 90 National Youth Councils and International Youth Organisations from across the continent. The Youth Forum works to empower young people to participate actively in society to improve their own lives, by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organisations towards the European Institutions, the Council of Europe and the United Nations.
• The successful candidate will be responsible for developing the online presence of the Youth Forum's magazine, YO!. This project should lead to a highly dynamic website, with a strong multimedia content, including, video, audio, imagery and photography. The Communications Intern will lead this project and, as well as developing the material themselves, they will liaise with young multimedia volunteer journalists.
• Other ad-hoc communications tasks may include: writing articles and news items for the Youth Forum's communications channels; monitoring social media; attending and supporting Youth Forum events and any other needs within the communication team to support the general advocacy of the Forum.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
• Academic background or strong equivalent experience (which could be through volunteering/as part of studies) in journalism, communication, design or other multimedia disciplines.
• Interest in youth policy and knowledge of some basics of the European and global landscape of youth policy.
• Enthusiasm and willingness to learn, be part of a team, as well as lead a project independently.
• Available for six months, full-time, starting in September 2015.
• The selected candidate will preferably be at her/his first internship experience or not have more than one previous internship experience outside of studies.
• Strong knowledge of web management tools;
• Experience of video and photo editing programmes;
• Knowledge of graphic design programmes;
• Knowledge of and familiarity with key social media channels;
• Capacity to work with people from different social and cultural backgrounds;
• Excellent written and oral skills in English, and preferably in French;
• Computer literate (European Youth Forum uses Mac OS);
WHAT THE EUROPEAN YOUTH FORUM OFFERS
• An interesting learning opportunity and working experience in a major Brussels-based NGO.
• Insight into and development of skills in EU affairs communication, including the opportunity to draft articles, monitor social media and assist at events.
• The opportunity to gain specific knowledge on advocacy related to youth policy, education, social affairs, sustainable development, etc.
• An internship regulated under the conditions of the Belgium internship contract called "Convention d'immersion professionnelle" (see more information at: http://www.emploi.belgique.be/defaultTab.aspx?id=3460) and in line with the European Charter for Quality Internships and Apprenticeships (www.qualityinternships.eu)
• An internship with a monthly compensation of 1.595,08 € gross paid under the European Youth Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Coverage of 100% of the public transport travel costs within the Brussels region and of 60% of the public transport travel costs outside the Brussels region.
To submit your application for this vacancy, please use the new European Youth Forum online recruitment system: http://recruitment.youthforum.org (see instructions below).
How to apply with the online application system?
1. Create a user account: click on "Registration" and fill in your personal details.
2. Go to the "private area" and login with your username and password.
3. Click on the vacancy and apply.
4. Respond to our application questions.
4. Upload your CV.
Interviews for this vacancy will be held during 10th August and the successful candidate will be expected to start beginning of September.
Due to the high number of applications usually received for European Youth Forum vacancies, only candidates short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
The European Youth Forum aims to ensure that no job application or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.