November 12, 2014

NEWS / PROJECTS / PHOTO: One year on, children affected by Typhoon Haiyan share images of hope

TACLOBAN, Philippines, 6 November 2014

Sixteen-year-old Jopet Arce, a fourth year high school student from Leyte Colleges, shyly poses for pictures with his Best Photographer sash. Jopet was chosen by his peers as the Best Photographer in the EYE SEE Photography Workshop by Sony held in Tacloban City for children affected by Typhoon Haiyan (local name: Yolanda). 

“I was surprised to be chosen,” he says with a smile. “I never really thought I had any talent in photography before this workshop.  Who knew photography could open my eyes to a lot of things, and make me look at life differently?” 

Jopet talks about realizing how so many children were suffering just like him and his family. He says that while the workshop taught him how to distinguish good photos from poorly taken ones, he also learned the lesson of empathy.

full article

No comments: